Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Raqib Shaw's exhibition at the Manchester Art Gallery

This was an exhibition I went to see at the Manchester Art Gallery which I found really exciting!!
Firstly because of the materials used such as hardware style paint instead of oil paints as the artist couldn't originally afford it, but by doing this he said he was able to be able to create really exciting effects and textures with the paint and use it to his advantage which he said in a video he presented too him 13 years altogether to get where he is now. In these paintings from the exhibition he has started working with enamel and also adding in gems where he wants to create different focal points depending on the importance of that area. I found also this artist was a help to my developing work, I know he isn't doing people portraits however he is portraying people as animals and has twisted and created ideas, some of his pieces also look mythical and also quite bizarre at times, but it was really interesting listening on the video to Shaw's ideas behind the work and I really understood it a lot more when re walking round again.













 

The two images below :
I have been so inspired on how Shaw was inspired by 18th Century paintings and recreate them in his own interpretations  and he has also taken items such as the pickle in the painting below from another painting. I love the idea of recreating and reinterperating it and for example if I recreated the same painting I may have a completely different view and create something completely in contrast to either Shaw's or the original painting!






No comments:

Post a Comment