Friday, April 12, 2013

Creation/Destruction Exhibition at The Holden Gallery

I visited the opening night for the exhibition Creation/Destruction on the 11th of April, I have found since getting ready to take part in an exhibition I am now looking more in detail at presentation of work when visiting other exhibitions. 

Below is Anya Gallaccio's work, this artist explores the connections between decay, time, materiality and contemporary aesthetics. Decay is a vital part of her show and she presents her work on glass to appear as though the work is viewed as though in a museum. I like the idea of presenting a sculptural piece of art on glass however this idea I don't think would work as well for a painting and even if I did try I don't think it would link as well with the ideas I have so far with my paintings.





However after seeing this exhibition I questioned how I wanted to present my paintings, do I want to present them on a wall alike many other paintings, or can I think of a different way??
I have an idea at the minute of presenting my painting/paintings (depending on how many I exhibit) to present them on wooden shelves, my idea for this is the shelf becoming a statement and part of the art work, the statement being how with depression you can not only feel as though you are on the outside but as though you are isolated, so the idea being as though the painting is placed on a shelf and forgotten about alike many objects I own and a lot of people also do and put things away and forget about them. As thoughts in advance I like the idea of placing the painting and shelf on the wall quite high up as though the painting is trying to get away from the viewer because when struggling with depression and anxiety I find I personally tend to try and hide away from people and I want to be able to find a way to portray that not only in the images but in the layout and presentation of my paintings.






Below is Rut Blees Luxemburg's 'The Pattern of the Plans, 2004' his images often reveal unnoticed and overlooked elements in public spaces of the city and its nocturnal backdrop. For creation/destruction some of his works also move away from the urban into subjects such as iconoclasm and materiality. Themes of decay, destruction, erosion and ruination apprear frequently in the artist's work. 


The cracks within Luxemburg's image 'The Patterns of Plans' I found I related to as my own ideas with my canvases as I have purposefully similar cracks within it. What I find interesting is the reason for my canvases look was to be representational of not only the strains and stretches on the corners alike stretch marks formed on women's skin, I also intentionally created cracks within the middle where I wanted to create an all round effect of strain and cracks underneath a stable image, as I want to create an illusion of the image on the foreground that I show to everyone who thinks I am stable and there is nothing the matter where as actually underneath that painted image I put on the foreground there are a lot of cracks, strains and upset underneath.

It has been interesting to see a contemporary artists with cracks as an image as I originally liked the idea of the cracks from the old master's paintings such as Memling, Holbein, Oudry etc where the oil paint has gradually started to crack over years of the paint eroding, where as I want to recreate an instant cracked  effect by creating the cracks and strains myself through materials and force.

No comments:

Post a Comment