Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blankspace Opening Night 15/5/13


Blankspace Gallery
I decided to put up our posters that were designed to advertise for the opening night of '77Hours' so when people came they would defiantly know that this was the correct gallery because it is placed in quite a discrete location. 

Food provided by Jamie's Italian
The food by Jamie's Italian was brought by the head chief of the Manchester restaurant, to set up we put tables that were behind the drinks bar and the group met them at 5.15pm, to give 45 minutes to set up before the exhibition was opened. The food was not only delicious but was also a big hit with a lot of the viewers in the gallery as firstly it was more of an instigator to get people to attend along side with the free drinks they were also able to eat for free, secondly it also kept people there for longer for the evening as they were able to eat and drink and make a whole evening of the opening event.

Drinks provided from the money at Fundraiser Night at Trof Bar
We raised £126 pounds from the fundraiser at Trof bar allowing us to be able to buy the drinks for the evening where we set up a bar in front of the food from Jamie's Italian.



Below are images of the exhibition before and during the exhibition opening:



















































The opening night for '77Hours' Exhibition was a great success, we had  around 200 people for the opening night and had people knocking on the door twenty minutes before the exhibition even opened. We kept the exhibition open until 9pm due to the fact that the gallery was still full at 8pm when we were meant to be closing the opening night and we still had people coming after 8pm so I think it was good decision to keep it open for longer. We didn't have a point in the night where the place was empty until we closed up for the evening and we also had the pleasure of having quite a few tutors from the university attend as well as journalists and some gallery curators. 



The Sponsor for our flyers 'OkeDream' came to the Blankspace Opening night for support of the artists
Dan who I was in contact with regarding the sponsorship of OkeDream  was able to come down for the opening night to support us and talk to the other artists as it had only been myself that had been in contact with the company.




Business Cards
For the opening night I made myself some small business cards which had my name, skills, number, email and blog on so if viewers liked my work they were able to get in contact as well as look at any other work I have done by viewing the blog. I think it is good to promote myself whilst being in education so when I finish I won't be too lost and not have made any contacts. By doing this I also can become slightly known before I leave University so then when I do leave people may have heard of my name or may want to work with me in the future. Out of the group I was the only one to make business cards for the opening night and to leave them in the gallery for the rest of the week, I thought that it looked more professional because even though we did have our emails on the back of the floor plan, viewers were able to take away with them my card with images of my work on it.


Spotlight on the paintings
Prior to the opening night we were able to put spotlights onto our work, I had to think really hard  about how I wanted to light to land onto the painting
'Girl with clipped wings' was displayed with the light shining slightly above the painting rather than directly onto it to allow a cast of a shadow, because the painting is such a light one I thought this would work better as a direct light onto it would not only make it lighter but may also erase out the delicate details of the birds on top of her head. The cast of the shadow also works well with the concept of the painting and how the woman shys away from telling the truth so the idea of hiding herself away from the limelight works very well. The light casts from the side in the angle of her view point so there is a diagonal line fluently through the piece.


'Yellow wallpaper' had no direct light onto this piece because there wasn't a specific part of it that I wanted to be enlightend and as this painting was less conceptual as the wallpaper and the woman combine together creating an imbalance of strong differences however her hair begins to merge towards the background. So with this painting the lights were cast from different angles to ensure that there was no direct light onto the painting.

'Discharged from the avery' had a direct light onto it to open up the darkened image because of it's positive concept, the woman walking away from the birds has found a light at the end of the tunnel and now is able to walk into it free. The direct light allows the image to stand out more and open it up to the viewer.



No comments:

Post a Comment